I hope you all are having a great start to the week! Sending you electronic hugs and positive energy today. I’m back with another podcast review and it just so happens to fit well with the theme of #Sewphotohop Day:24, which is “While sewing I ___” .
While sewing, I do listen to music and randomly dance, but I most of the time while sewing I listen to podcasts! So I thought this was the perfect opportunity to do another podcast review. Today I’m talking about the Side Hustle Pro Podcast, one of my favorites. Nicaila Matthews Okome is the host of this podcast, which launched in 2016. Since then the podcast and Nicaila’s following has grown tremendously with almost a million downloads and over 50,00 followers on IG. Side Hustle Pro is the first and only podcast to spotlight bold, black women entrepreneurs who have scaled from side hustle to profitable business. This podcast is one to you need to add to your library.
Every time I listen to this podcast, I’m reminded that l’m not alone and that we all have ups and downs in our businesses, lives, and side hustles. These are real women who look just like me and are trying or have already conquered the road to successful full time entrepreneurship. Its beyond inspiring listening to these women tell their stories, and I’m just delighted this podcast provides a space for them to do so.
I decided to go with a “PRO-LIST” when reviewing the podcasts because I feel its easier to digest if I just hit you with the bullets of pros about the podcast, instead of one loong paragraph.
So scroll this list and see why you need to subscribe this podcast asap!
- Tells our stories. It shines a light on the untold narratives of women of color. (that should be enough to make you click subscribe)
- Voice– I like Nicaila’s voice. lol Its really chill, she’s not overly goofy or super serious either. I love when hosts have that perfect balance.
- Guests- The guests are AMAZING. Seriously from billion dollar business owners, to stock traders, to barbie doll creators this podcast highlights some pretty dope women.
- DMV GIRL BOSSES– Nicaila was born in Jamaica, raised in Bronx NY, and I believe she currently resides in DC. So she has interviewed some dope girl bosses in the DMV area. Angel Anderson the owner of The Spice Suite and Jerri Evans owner of Turning Natural have made appearances in the guest chair. It is so amazing to hear podcast from people and places who I already support!
- Podcast flow– Most podcasts do a little music to introduce the podcast but her intro is a snippet o the podcast and i think that is brilliant and this podcast is the first one I ever heard do that.
- She breaks it down– Nicaila asks her guests to talk to us like we know nothing about what they do. I love that, because sometimes I don’t know anything about trading stocks or the steps it takes to open a smoothie shop. If a guest is talking about something she think we may not understand she’ll ask “can you explain further, what does that process look like, or can you break it down for me please?” Just asking those questions to gain clarity, allows me to really understand and put myself in their shoes.
- Solo episodes- Every once in a while Nicaila will do a solo episode where she shares her journey to success and entrepreneurship.
- If you have a side hustle, you want to start one, or you want to take your side hustle to the next level then this podcast is sure to inspire and empower you to become a side hustle Pro!
Follow Nicaila, @sidehustlepro on IG, Facebook. and Twitter. You can also visit her website sidehustlepro.co and listen to episodes on Soundcloud.
If you have already listened to this podcast. Let me know what you think about it!